National Highways defends handling of M6 closure
- Safer Highways
- Jan 12
- 1 min read

National Highways has defended its handling of a motorway closure as a rail bridge was demolished and a new one moved into place.
The M6 between junctions 39, near Shap and 40, at Penrith, Cumbria, was closed over the past two weekends for West Coast Main Line works and vehicles were diverted through rural villages.
Chair of Clifton Community Council, Jonathan Davies, said the company "failed to deliver" on promises and that rural villages "felt the brunt" of the traffic.
National Highways said it had received largely positive feedback, but apologised for disruption and said it would learn lessons for future projects.
The motorway reopened on Sunday, earlier than expected, after the Clifton railway bridge was replaced with the new 4,200 tonne steel structure.
Some residents said the diversions "caused chaos" as the traffic ran through rural roads, and others said the diversion routes felt unsafe.
Davies said it had been a feat of engineering but "unfortunately we've had issues with the wider project".



Comments