top of page

More Than 100 Offences Detected in Merseyside Operation Tramline Crackdown

  • Writer: Safer Highways
    Safer Highways
  • 4 days ago
  • 2 min read


Officers from Merseyside Police recorded more than 100 driving offences last week after deploying the National Highways Operation Tramline HGV cab across the region’s major routes.


The specialist vehicle, provided by National Highways, gives officers an elevated view into passing vehicles, allowing them to spot dangerous behaviour that might otherwise go unnoticed. The week-long operation focused on high-risk offences known to contribute to serious and fatal collisions.


In total, 104 offences were dealt with, including:

  • 16 drivers not wearing a seatbelt

  • 22 motorists using a mobile phone at the wheel

  • 18 vehicles carrying insecure loads


The high vantage point of the HGV cab enables officers to clearly see into cars and vans, making it easier to detect seatbelt violations, phone use and other risky actions. The initiative forms part of Merseyside Police’s zero-tolerance stance on the “Fatal 4” offences: speeding, drink and drug driving, failing to wear a seatbelt, and using a mobile phone while driving.


On Monday 2 February 2026, the cab was deployed alongside increased patrols on local A roads and motorways. Using onboard camera systems, officers gathered evidence of multiple offences. Some drivers will receive notices by post, while others—particularly repeat or serious offenders—were stopped at the roadside and escorted to a designated check site.


The enforcement activity was supported by Operation Pennine, a joint initiative involving Merseyside Police, Cheshire Police and the DVSA, where further vehicle inspections and compliance checks were carried out.


Chief Inspector Stuart McIver said the operation reflects the force’s strengthened approach to road safety enforcement in recent years. He highlighted the use of partnership working, aerial photography, unmarked vehicles, AI camera technology and the Tramline cab as part of a broader strategy to deter dangerous driving.


He added that many fatal collisions stem from avoidable decisions, such as using a phone while driving, and stressed that the force would continue to take firm action against those who endanger others.


Lisa Scott, Regional Road Safety Programme Manager (North West) at National Highways, said the initiative is aimed at reducing incidents caused by unsafe driving and improving safety for all road users. She noted that while most motorists drive responsibly, a small minority continue to put themselves and others at risk, and operations like Tramline help reinforce the importance of safe driving habits.

 
 
 

Comments


Recent Blog Posts

NEWS AND UPDATES

bottom of page