Court Hears Smart Motorway Failed to Warn of Broken-Down Vehicle in Fatal M4 Collision
- Safer Highways
- Feb 12
- 2 min read

National Highways implemented “measures” after a smart motorway system failed to alert drivers to a broken-down vehicle on the day of a fatal crash, a court has heard.
The incident occurred on March 7, 2022, when 45-year-old Barry O’Sullivan collided with a stationary Nissan Micra in the outside lane of the M4 westbound between junctions 11 and 12 in Berkshire. The impact propelled both vehicles forward, causing the Nissan to burst into flames.
Pulvinder Dhillon, a passenger in the Nissan being driven by her daughter, was fatally injured in the collision.
At Reading Crown Court, David Edmond, a traffic management officer with Thames Valley Police, explained that his role is to examine the circumstances of the crash. He confirmed that National Highways had acknowledged the smart motorway system was “not working as it should” on the day of the collision and had been faulty for five days prior.
When asked whether anyone had investigated why the defect went undetected, Edmond said National Highways had “put measures in place to ensure that that doesn’t happen again,” adding that assurances were provided that the fault had been resolved and adequate checks implemented.
Evidence presented in court detailed the timeline of events. The first alert about the stranded vehicle came from a member of the public to Thames Valley Police at 8:37 a.m., with National Highways notified four minutes later, at 8:41 a.m. Police Sergeant Mark Dunne confirmed that the response times were considered reasonable and that there was no evidence of wrongdoing.
Richard Thorpe, lead investigator in the case, explained that the smart motorway system was restored within 60 to 90 minutes after the collision. He stated that the fault had been caused by a computer error.
Jurors were told that the smart motorway was not displaying warnings about obstructions on the morning of the crash. O’Sullivan told police he saw “no indication of anything untoward” on any gantries and that there were “definitely no warnings” of the broken-down vehicle ahead. Witnesses also reported that O’Sullivan had been driving at speed in the outside lane.
O’Sullivan, of Wixams near Bedford, has pleaded not guilty to one count of causing death by careless driving. The trial is ongoing.



Comments